National museum of Art. Lisbon. Portugal.
The national museum of Art in Lisbon is a museum of old and modern art installed in a palate of XVIe century, the palate of the counts Alvor-Pombal.
The collections of the museum come mainly from the confiscation of the possessions of the convents, closed under the terms of the law of 1834. During second half of the XIXe century, they were enriched by acquisitions by the royal Academy of the Fine Art and by the patronage of the kings Pierre V and Louis Ist In the rooms devoted to painting the schools are represented German (Hans Holbein and Albrecht Dürer), Spanish (Bartolomé Esteban Murillo, Francisco de Zurbarán and Diego de Silva Vélasquez), Flemish (Hans Memling, celebrates it triptych of the Temptation of Antoine saint of Jerome Bosch, Pieter Bruegel), Dutchwoman (Pieter De Hooch,. Backer, Joos van Craesbeeck), French (Nicolas Poussin, Antoine Coypel, Jean-Honore Fragonard, Gustave Courbet), English (George Romney, Lawrence) and Italian (Piero della Francesca, Raphaël, Piazzetta, Pontormo). The evolution of Portuguese painting is recalled, over four centuries (XVth-XIXth), of famous Polyptyque of saint Vincent, the philosopher's stone of Portuguese painting to works of the Masters of Lisbon (Gregorio Lopes, Garcia Fernandes) and of the regional school of Viseu (Vasco Fernandes, celebrates it Grão-Vasco), while passing by the Italianizing mannerism of Diogo Contreiras, the portraits of Domingos Vieira, still lifes of Josefa de Obidos and the drawings of Domingos Antonio de Sequeira.